Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

DOT Requirements

+2
Davey Cracker
milspec6
6 posters

Go down

DOT Requirements Empty DOT Requirements

Post by milspec6 Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm

I know that I am going to put some people to sleep with this topic, but for those in the same boat as me, it might become a very often read topic.

I am aware of the Intrastate dot requirements for operating any non-CDL truck within 100 air miles of your home base, but I am confused greatly about my current situation of driving my "new-to-me" box truck home from the seller's location 3 States away.

I have contacted the State Patrol in Wisconsin for advice, explained my situation and they told me that I would have to comply with all of the requirements to include log books, weigh stations, medical card, inspection, and Dot numbers just to drive it across their State. I am waiting to hear from Minnesota and Iowa next, but I am a little confused here.

I will be driving a truck over a GVWR of 10,001 lbs., so I understand the weigh stations to a point, but since I am not conducting commerce and the box is not loaded, why wouldn't it be just like renting a U-haul box truck to drive the same route for personal usage? Is it because I am the owner and not a renter? No

I want this trip to go without a hitch and having to deal with medical cards, log books, etc. seems greatly out of place for what I am doing....just driving a non-CDL truck without commerce for some 570 miles over 2 days.

Having worn a badge for the State of Nebraska, I understand officer discretion and it often comes down to that, but I want to do this the right way. How about it, any seasoned veterans on this issue able to help?
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

DOT Requirements Empty Re: DOT Requirements

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm

I have to idea really, but I'd guess it's all about them getting their share (money)?
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Davey Cracker wrote:I have to idea really, but I'd guess it's all about them getting their share (money)?

Wisdom beyond your age my friend. That is why they don't make pants without pockets as well Rolling Eyes
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:17 pm

When I rented budget truck and had to go through inspection, they basically just put most trucks through their scale and if it's within their weigh limit, they just kept going, including myself, I was a little nervous cause I got a 3 bedroom house in the 22 footer box truck, but I went through it no problem, they didn't check for anything, and that's in California where everything is tightly regulated.
I think if it's only 570 miles and it's empty, you got nothing to worry about Rob, just put the date you started driving a day earlier and if you get stopped, you can tell them you had your 8 hours nap and you're good to complete the rest of the trip, if it's 55 mph all the way, you're only 10.5 hours away well plus gas fill ups and meal stops, probably 12 hours, not too bad.
Just have insurance papers in hand and pretend you don't know about anything else and stop asking too much questions now so that when you tell them you don't know about any other requirements you're not lying to them ;-)
Another option is to put that truck on a train, you'll be surprise with the cost ( not very much ). Assuming you have a freight cargo train stop close enough to you.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm going regardless and I don't really expect any issues. When I purchased that retired ambulance from about the same location, not only didn't hit any scales, but every trooper I saw waved at me.

Of course, they all thought it was still in service. Felt like an episode of Cannonball Run Razz

Never shipped via train before, but do have a couple of major hubs within 50 miles of here...might consider that next time.

If it goes bad, I'll get some great footage for the post at least.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Davey Cracker Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Well, I guess that explains it!.........with a light bar installed, you should have a safe trip! dancing
Davey Cracker
Davey Cracker
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:02 am

The only way you could have a DOT number, is if you were already registred.

Yeah, you would want a med card and a log book. Other than that, it's a new purchase just like buying a car or truck.
Drive it home and enjoy it!

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 am

I contacted the same State agency a second time to see if they would give the same answer on what the regulation is in this case. This is what I received:

"You would be classified as a private property carrier in your situation. The truck is the property. You will be using the truck for business purposes when you get back to Nebraska.

You may want to talk to the Nebraska commercial vehicle division and explain what you intend to do including the trip from WI back to NE. The NE Roadside Enforcement phone number is 402-471-4545."

Then I called an OTR driver buddy of mine who told me that you only keep a log to track the hours driven under a CDL condition and that it is not required for any non-CDL vehicle.

Bottom line: You can ask a room full of people and get a room full of answers. Even the same agency doesn't agree with itself. How is anyone supposed to abide by laws that nobody is able to define?

I'm just going up and driving back....I'm done worrying about the regulations. Maybe I will take a can of spray paint and write "U-haul" on the side of it. Rolling Eyes

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:35 am

I'd agree with the lady.

It's not a business vehicle until you register it as such. It's just a truck you just purchased at this point.

All you should really need is a tamp tag, proof of insurance, and a signed title.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 am

Freemind1 wrote:I'd agree with the lady.

It's not a business vehicle until you register it as such. It's just a truck you just purchased at this point.

All you should really need is a tamp tag, proof of insurance, and a signed title.

That is how I am going to roll.....might take that email with me just in case though.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Just act like you're driving in Mexico and give them 20.00 to let you through the weigh station
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Floorguy Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:01 am

dont even stop empty.....its not in service as of yet, so its not classified as commercial...There is no signage on it (right) so it is a private vehicle...which needs no weigh stations

Think about them big ass RVs...they are over the 10k and probably over the 12,500...but they no need to stop

if your worried get some quick magnet signs that say NOT FOR HIRE...and slap them on the door....
Floorguy
Floorguy
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.paynelessfloorcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:52 am

Good point Floor guy
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Actually, in many states, those RV are supposed to stop at the station, but you are right, I never see them doing it.

Looking at the map of my route, I will only pass 3 stations, so the odds are in my favor that they will not even be open.

Starting to get excited about getting this project started! I have the plasma cutter ready and waiting for those aluminum dividers. bounce
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum