Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

TNT blower belts

3 posters

Go down

TNT blower belts  Empty TNT blower belts

Post by ACE Services Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Ok guys
Need your help I've got a tnt unit that is snapping blower belts like crazy. Blower isn't dragging or locking up. Belts and pulleys alinment seem ok. So I'm wondering have any of you guys ever used the green strip belt or similar type. Maybe you have a part number. The belt is a 3VX280.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

TNT blower belts  Empty Re: TNT blower belts

Post by Mo Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Ive had mine over two years now Eddie. Ill take a look to see what I have
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Give me 5 minutes and I will run out and check.....
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Gates Super HC 3Vx280 is what is on mine....same as his.

I can tell you that my Butler runs Gates Tri-Power belts and they last me years without needing to change them. The ones on it now are 3 years old and look brand new.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Is the pulley groove worn or have a burr?

Once a groove wears enough, the belt will move around in the channel and shred or even jump off the pulley. My crankshaft pully on my van did that a few years ago.....brand new belts too, but the channel was worn.

Might need to find a belt that is a little wider and that sits deeper in the groove.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:13 am

3vx400 on the pump the blower looks to be a generic fan belt Made In USA 1710SS 76
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks guys, we've been talking to Less with Judson. He agrees with me he thinks that the blower has a bearing problem. Helped my customer source a blower, he got lucky they had one in stock so I went and picked it up today. We had checked everything from alignment to bearing temperature. Customer had told Less what all had been checked he said Less was impressed with how much was done to check out the problem.
Super nice guy to talk with for my part. He even had his wife get my contact info so he could put me on his list of tech's to send people in my area for services. Wasn't expecting that. Putting the blower in tomorrow will let you know what the outcome is when I get done.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Les is one of the true industry nice guys. When I was looking at buying my used TNT, he was very generous in answering all my questions and still responds quickly to questions even though I was buying it from someone else.

The man understands customer service and was the reason that I chose the TNT that I did.

Glad you got a handle on that ACE, it is odd that the bearing temperature wasn't high if the bearing was failing and wandering in its cage. I hope it didn't stress the clutch bearing on the pump as a result.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:05 am

Well here's the update, after talking with Les, he said that he would replace the blower. So we did and while we had it out we replaced the blower muffler. I put a turned down tip on it also then checked the noise level, most are around 85 dB this one tested at 79 to 80db.
He ran the unit on two jobs that night and till lunch time the next day and one of the belts broke. So it was doing better but not totally repaired. One of the other things Les said could be a issue is the engine muffler so I talked with the customer and he's going to try running a fan across the belts and see if it runs properly.
Something worth mentioning the blower muffler we took off weighed twice as much as the new one. Come to find out he is using it to strip wax floors as.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 am

So you think the muffler is overheating and burning belts? Maybe it's the engine pulley or shaft that's causing  the problem?
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:20 am

New engine and new pulleys. Thinking that the muffler could be restricted inside causing the heat to radiate and cause the belts to get soft and snap. The belts are snapping clean like you cut them.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:05 pm

I don't think it is the muffler nor a heat problem. My butler can cook every hose and belt in the engine bay and has never busted a belt. I think it is the use of the toothed fan belt that might be the problem.

What we really want are the solid belts used by industrial equipment (air compressors, PTO units, etc.). I use those on my Butler unit and they never seem to age at all. I was going to replace them when we pulled the drive shaft, but they looked and felt like brand new belts after 3 years.

Dump those belts and upgrade.....I think I will as well on my TNT.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:05 pm

It wouldn't be a happy camper if I replaced an engine and blower and the fix was a 40 dollar muffler lol
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Well the belts with teeth actually run cooler, but he has used the belts with out the teeth and they still broke.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Well, I am not the wrench turner that I used to be, but I have not seen belts fail like that from heat....they are rated to not age at 250 degrees. Can the muffler heat a belt over 250 degrees from 4-6 inches away with even the lightest air flow? I have measured 292 degrees in my van's engine bay on a very hot day....fan belts and Butler drive belts were fine.

Might just want to fashion an aluminum heat shield between the muffler and belts....like a chain shroud sort of thing. IF it really is the heat, that should do it.

Something just isn't adding up. Any chance there is a crack in the either the engine or blower mounting areas allowing the equipment to shift when it is running?
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 pm

I went out and looked at my TNT as your problem is starting to bug me now.

I have never seen a new belt suddenly break like that unless one of three things happen:  Either the belt gets cut by a bad pulley; The Alignment is wrong; or the component is locking up temporarily.

You replaced the pulleys, blower, and motor so we can rule out the pulley and those components.  You are too good with a wrench to not see an alignment issue, so that just leaves one thing......the water pump clutch.

What if the clutch is failing and causing a temporary lock up?  The pump would not be under greater stress, but the engine sure would be.  A sudden freezing up of the water pump rotation would cause the motor to come to a sudden stop if not for the weak leak (belt) breaking.

I would skip that muffler heat problem and inspect that water pump clutch.....replace it actually as you might not be able to duplicate the condition at will.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:39 am

Sorry Rob I wrote a whole big list of the things we done couldn't get this stupid phone to post it long story short this is one of the issues that Les said could be the problem
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 am

Aren't mysteries fun? Just glad it isn't mine this time.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:36 pm

Well here's a update on the belt issue.
The customer made it through his busy time with the school systems at the cost of let's say several belts. So he calls me back and says do you want to look at the unit again before he takes it to judson directly. I told him to bring it to me. I bought a Lazer to check out the pulley alinment. Well needless to say that was no help. He had shown me a belt that had started to break but not completely and it kind of looked like it was tearing from the side. So I'm looking at it and it hit me it was working before the engine was changed (which I did not do ). So I checked the engine to see if it was in plumb. Think of it like this if a 3 to 9 was the pulley then 6 to 12 is the engine being straight up and down then that is the issue. It's amazing what a couple of thick washers under the base of the engine can do. So far he has ran the unit for three days of hard work and no broken belts.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:15 pm

It is often the simple things that screw up major crap.

Glad to hear you solved it before the guy drove all the way to Judson. That would have forced me to slug someone if I drove that far to find out it was just an alignment issue.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down