Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Adding on work while you are there.....

4 posters

Go down

Adding on work while you are there..... Empty Adding on work while you are there.....

Post by Freemind1 Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 am

Do you guys get much of the adding stuff on, AFTER you showed up and completed the tasks at hand?

Today's job was a lady who I've had for two years now. Plays the "can't afford all the glass in and out" game. So, for over half the cost, I just do upper story outsides and one set of windows in a stairwell for her. It's a PITA with the landscaping she has, and I don't know why she just doesn't have me do ALL of them. She isn't "broke" or poor.

Today she adds on all the inside windows that I cleaned outside, and some on the back of the house, AFTER we were already done. I was really getting pissed about it. "Oh can you do these ones too?" " How about that one over there?".

I told them as she was paying me, that I need to know what she wants done WHEN she schedules. I have other things to do AFTER her time slot. I don't have "hours" as a cushion from one stop to the next.

Doing things this way actually more than doubles the time for me. I only added 45 bucks to the bill but told her this was a "deal" and that where her price was, she would be further ahead just cleaning ALL the glass, rather than what she is doing.

This was the equivalent of folding up your hoses, and dragging them back out, 2 or 3 times. What do you guys do in situations like this? Do you "stick it to them" or just refuse the extra?

She did schedule an extra fall clean she never did before, but I just don't like dealing with people that think nothing of your time or how irritating it is dragging your equipment out over and over. And to top it off, all she complains about is how they have to "watch their money" and that "there isn't much income". All the while, some guy comes over and pays his rent on the cottage they are renting to him, and I notice their Florida plates on the Lexus (meaning they have a home in Florida too).

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Adding on work while you are there..... Empty Re: Adding on work while you are there.....

Post by milspec6 Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:19 am

At first, I thought it sounded like one of those customers that just likes the company...even if it is just a polite contractor. I run into that a lot out in the rural areas where they schedule cleanings that they really didn't need.

That was how I read it until you mentioned the rental and Lexus and now I think you might have one of those "free steak" people. When I worked in a restaurant back in college, we used to get some elderly customers that would always complain about their steak just to get the meal comped. They would drive up in luxury vehicles and wearing a Rolex and then play the "fixed income" card when it came time to tip.

I never let my schedule get crowded (pretty easy when things remain slow like now) so I always have a few hours between jobs to allow for mechanical break downs or added sales.

I don't know which type you ran into, but it sounds like the latter one to me more than the first type. I would offer her a better deal on scheduled work and a premium on any additional work while on the site. That way, being delayed would be worth it and it would encourage her to be better organized.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Adding on work while you are there..... Empty Re: Adding on work while you are there.....

Post by Freemind1 Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Yeah, she is the complainer trying to get a free meal.

I already told them I don't block off half the day when I don't need it.

I'll hold to my word with this client, but I think in the future, It's going to be no more picking and choosing with clients.

This is just a good lesson why it should always be ALL or nothing.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:39 am

It really is as many people think that they will get a better deal negotiating extras once you are on-site due to the perceived convenience factor. The problem is that it really isn't all that convenient and can often be an inconvenience.

Follow your instincts and you will be right most of the time.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Well, our efficiencies are pretty good but there are times where customers add some work and we end up getting a little behind, but if they add work after we pack up, we usually reschedule them, unless if the job is a good size job that they might change their mind if we schedule it at a different day.
In my experience if we can make an extra couple hundred bucks right then and there and end up being a little late to the next jobs, it's worth it, the key is to let the next customers right away before we are actually running late.
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:59 am

You have nicer customers than me then, mine despise me ever being late. We have several contractors in this area that advertise that if they are ever late, the job is free.

That is a high standard to live up to, but it is expected in this area.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:13 pm

The only job that has a firm time is the first job of the day the others that day have a 1 hour window. Not sure if that would work with window cleaning

In this area if you arrive on time they think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Like Rob, my clients expect you on time.

They get really upset when you are late.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down