Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Finally time for a new (old) truck, need help

+3
Mo
ACE Services
Cjcann
7 posters

Go down

Finally time for a new (old) truck, need help Empty Finally time for a new (old) truck, need help

Post by Cjcann Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:38 am

She's got 280,000 on her and doesn't owe me a thing. This mornings job will be her last. Taken my van out of commision and replacing it with something slightly newer. I will transfer the El Diablo TM into the new van. Taking 2 weeks off to complete the process. I am going to reposition the TM to face out the side door as opposed to the rear for better weight distribution. My questions are. Will I have to drop the fuel tank to properly bolt the waste tank and TM to the floor? And what id the best way to tap the fuel tank for the supply to the TM? Never done that before. I have decided to replace the Waste tank with a MYTee tr-80 synthetic tank while I am doing the switch. The Stainless steel tank leaks at all the welds and corners ( 2nd one to do so). Any thoughts or advice? Never done this before, but after 30 years Ive been around the block- I can do this!
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

Finally time for a new (old) truck, need help Empty Re: Finally time for a new (old) truck, need help

Post by ACE Services Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:46 am

Ok. The waste tank should be no problem if you slide it over next to the side of the van as close as possible and still be able to open and clean it. 
The unit should be ok also but be careful, slide it as close to the side step as you can. Look at the body bracing underneath you may have to shift the unit some to miss them otherwise it will be a pain. The two bolts next to the door should be no problem other than the heat sheild, if you can see the bolts fine. You can drill through the heat sheild but you have to be sure that the bolts are tight because the sheild will bend and collapse against the floor of the van. If you have the unit like most the bolt next to the seats will be just in front of the fuel tank, so don't go crazy drilling just drill the depth of the floor. Same goes for the back left bolt, it can be the hardest it may be just over the fuel tank, or over the drive shaft  (some vans have a heat sheild over the drive shaft ). Some of the units have a bolt in the center of each of the sides, you may want to use it if there is one on that side just to stay away from the fuel tank. 
The fuel tap. The easiest way is get a tap kit from ILS or jondon somewhere like that, tell them make and year of the van. 2003 and newer use a special tap approved by DOT. Otherwise it requires dropping the tank and it gets way more involved.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Finally time for a new (old) truck, need help Empty Re: Finally time for a new (old) truck, need help

Post by Mo Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:58 am

I would put the layout on paper to make sure it make sure it makes sense and that you have easy access for maintenance.

Do all the maintenance on the TM while its out of the van. Like painting, pump maintenance and maybe put that new engine in it while its out.

Test that waste tank make sure it doesn't have a vac leak at the access lids. I hear the baskets suck on those tanks.

I did a fuel tap on the Judson using parts from the hardware store just do a search for "Judson TNT refurbish". The only problem I had is that the pump on the briggs wasn't strong enough to pull fuel from the tank and I had to add a fuel pump.

May the force be with you
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thecleanerslounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Wise choice, my old El Diablo faced out the side door and yes, my tank used to leak at the welds as well.

It was in a Dodge Van, so I can't tell you any specifics that would help as to mounting the bolts. What I will suggest is the following:

Go to U-haul and buy a box large enough to cover the floor of the TM. Use that as your template inside the van. Once on the floor where you want it, drill pilot holes through the floor to see if there will be clearance issues (use a simple 1/4 inch bit)

I would also let a mechanic install the fuel tap. It isn't that difficult, but your life will be miserable if it isn't correct. Cheap insurance and best way to avoid headaches in my view.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:25 pm

https://youtu.be/d0_JD4FxoUc
Re: fuel tap
Maybe this will help!
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Oh, and use a drip pan on the floor....not just a piece of plywood. You will be far happier in the long run.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACpower1 Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:36 pm

we got our fuel tap from jon don and had them install it since there are DOT regulations and our WADOT is pretty strict comparatively.

As far as where you can bolt the machine down this all depends on what your next van is. Ive heard the new workmasters have large "no drill" zones, express isnt difficult there were a few spots we couldnt access but we made it work just shifting things around slightly.

Seriously consider a box truck El D, unless you work in downtown New York or Tokyo you wont regret it. Makes life so easy especially if you do more than just carpet cleaning.

I took a few rides in our express recently and man its so different not having the separation from the equipment to the cab, you can smell the waste tank.. the heat.. etc

When our express is retired we will definitely be replacing it with a 14ft box truck.

customers also react a bit different when you show up in one of our trucks or the other. Big truck gets lots and lots of compliments
ACpower1
ACpower1
Expert & Trusted Member
Expert & Trusted Member

http://www.hydracleanNW.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I do agree AC, in the short time that I have been rolling the box truck, I dislike the van that much more.

The exception is if you deal with harsh winters. It is much easier to store a van.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Drawing on a piece of paper is nice. But until you put it in the van you will not know if you will be happy, you are not seeing it in 3D. Couple of pipes under the unit and you can move anything. I've installed over a 100 units always staged the real thing, that way you can see the height width of the equipment. Van wwalls are not square.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Agreed ACE laying it out on paper is just the first step.

I would love the extra space of a box truck but it wouldnt work for me  in my area. Too many homes in the forest with small drive ways trees boulder etc
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dp1 Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:56 pm

I agree with drip pan, I got one with lip that hugs the outer edge near the sliding door and I was so happy with that, it was $ 125 I think.
Box truck won't work in metropolitan / urban areas, not only new york, even in my area ( 20 minutes away from LA ) there are too many apartments and condos where we are able to park in the basements, won't be able to do that with box trucks and I hate portable. I'm sure the space and being able to stand up straight in there is VERY nice.
I also agree with Mo, clean the shit out of that TM when it's out of the truck, I wish I can do that with mine Mad
dp1
dp1

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm

milspec6 wrote:I do agree AC, in the short time that I have been rolling the box truck, I dislike the van that much more.

The exception is if you deal with harsh winters.  It is much easier to store a van.
I was thinking about your new box truck and heating it in the winter issue/concern.Those back compartments; ever think about heat lamps? Low powder draw and radiant heat right where you need it.
Matt; My carpet cleaner
Matt; My carpet cleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:35 pm

I looked at radiant heaters like the kind for patios. The problem is that they don't project that way.

I bought 4 Marvin heaters with 2 IR tubes each and a built in Halogen spot light to test out. They would set your hair on fire beneath them, but once you moved farther than 3 feet away....I didn't feel much warmth.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Matt; My carpet cleaner wrote:
milspec6 wrote:I do agree AC, in the short time that I have been rolling the box truck, I dislike the van that much more.

The exception is if you deal with harsh winters.  It is much easier to store a van.
I was thinking about your new box truck and heating it in the winter issue/concern.Those back compartments; ever think about heat lamps? Low powder draw and radiant heat right where you need it.

Funny you mention heat lamps Matr. I cleaned for a guy that was experimenting with heat lamps in his home and I can tell ibwas sweating cleaning in this guys sofa in his living room
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cjcann Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:41 am

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE! Been looking for suitable replacement van these last few days, not easy finding what I want:
2009-2013
Chevy/Gmc Cargo van (Express/ Savanna)
Extended
White
Under 125,000 miles
Not beat to sh*t
within 75 miles of my home
REALLY don't want to deal with New York, rather buy oin my home state or Pa. very close to me.
Checked out my current van and I can see how the fuel tap was placed by viewing the video- Thanks Matt.
Plan on installing the whole shabang on cow mats- I hjave three of them not being used. They are 1/2" thick rubber mats that I will install over 3/8 pressure treated plywood. They will insulate, quiet and add some cushioning to the floor. I am planning on insulating with double bubble foil insulation sheets and foil tape, How I got my current van and works out well- Cost efficient, quick and effective. In past vans I went all out- Thick pink foam panels covered with paneling and white plastic panels, Man did it squeak! Going to try and seal out the floor as much as possible to prevent rust. I have a pan installed now, should probably buy a new one. It's going to be an adventure. Just have to take my time and find the right van. Checking Craigslist, Cargurus and auto trader 3 times a day, any Suggestions?
Cjcann
Cjcann
Active Poster
Active Poster

http://www.njserviceone.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mo Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:45 am

What about Ebay. Here's an example of a search on the 2500 near NJ

[url=http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=2|0&_dcat=6001&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&makeval=Chevrolet&modelval=Express 2500&_mtrvfc=1&_sop=7&_stpos=07709&_nkw=Chevrolet Express 2500]Ebay Chevy 2500 Near NJ[/url]
Mo
Mo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ACE Services Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:46 am

My van squeaked also when I first got it. Then I filled the lower pockets on the side walls with spray foam problem solved and it didn't take it any space inside the van only cost me about 50 bucks. Just something to think about.
ACE Services
ACE Services
Truckmount Mechanic
Truckmount Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Tempest Search.com
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down