Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» RX20 for sale
by ACE Services Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

» So has this forum too, went the way of extinction too?
by Mo Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm

» Roll call....
by ACE Services Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 am

» New moves for business 2019
by ACpower1 Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 am

» Government shutdown
by ACE Services Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

» Stepped back in time
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am

» .....Christmas ever
by Mo Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 am

» have you ever use dyson for cleaning ?
by milspec6 Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm

» Water Heater
by Mo Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

» anyone have an idea of why...?
by milspec6 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm

» I don't know squat
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

» what would you charge
by Mo Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 am

» Frozen cleaning for practice
by milspec6 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

» for the Holidays........
by Matt; My carpet cleaner Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 pm

» Pricing....ouch
by milspec6 Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

New Camera

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Camera - Page 2 Empty Re: New Camera

Post by Freemind1 Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:34 pm

Got an Amazon gift card for filling out a survey for Interlink the other day.

So tonight I order two 32 GB SD cards for the Nikon, and 3 U3 micro SD cards for action cameras. Those were actually killer pricing with the free shipping. Better price than locally in town, no tax, no gas wasted to get them.

I also picked up a hot shoe cover/level for 7 bucks.

Looked at some manfroto tripods. Most were much more reasonably priced then I thought they would be. Then again, they are all aluminum tripods I looked at too.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:28 am

I am throwing money at this right now as well.....seems to be never-ending. The Manfrotto pods are the standard, but I really liked the Davis and Sanford tripods a lot when I compared them side-by-side and the price is really good.

I added a shoulder rig (Filmcity) for shooting video as a run-and-gun method when I want to move around more than the tripod will allow. They can be a little pricey, but I couldn't help myself.

Last on my shopping list are some better lighting and a good microphone. I have good mics already for guitar that I could use as a boom mic, but I really see myself using a lapel mic more than anything else.

I was not sure if this investment was really going to pay off, but I had a real estate office today ask if I could recommend a photographer to help them with their listings? I think I may have found another side business.

I should have everything together in about 2 weeks and then the play time will begin. I hope to have some videos up by the end of the month.
milspec6
milspec6

http://castledefendersllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:50 am

LOL! Funny that you mention real estate photography, I was thinking of approaching them about it too. That is just funny. You must be my brother from another mother, wow.

Make sure the lapel mic you get has a longer cord (20 feet). I'm getting one of those too. I too think for my business promo videos, I'll use that type way more than a shotgun/boom mic.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:19 am

Too funny.....yes, the added extension is a must. I will probably go with the Rode lapel mic after seeing a side-by-side comparison video with the Audio-Technica. The difference was very noticeable in sound quality.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:34 pm

One thing I might add, if you are thinking of action work and wanting wide angle shots, an action cam is just dirt cheap. A 4k GoPro clone (with wifi) can be had for under 50 bucks. A 52 piece accessory kit for about 20 bucks. 3 spare batteries and a charger, 20 bucks, and a 32 gb U3 class ten micro sd card for about 10 bucks. So for about 100 bucks you can get an action cam to strap onto anything and take action video hands free and risk free of water damage.

Mine is going to be strapped onto my water fed pole quite a bit this upcoming year. I also intend on using the head strap mount a lot for taking shots when I run a squeegee.

With all the mounts, you can mount a GoPro anywhere now. I think that is pretty cool.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:52 am

The action stuff that I am looking at doesn't include me....just a spectator. This whole thing really is just about some simple one person commercials, but since I do hold a degree in Film Studies, I expect things may grow rapidly into many areas.

Don't get me wrong, my education wasn't focused on operating the camera, it was on writing scripts and framing shots, but I think that I can get up to speed after a little reading up on the subject.

The one thing that I can say at this point is that the cost to shoot films is still ridiculously expensive and one of the reasons that I never continued down that path of production. By the time you gather all the equipment, you can end up in the deep part of the pool with little ability to swim.

I am going to keep things simple as far as interior filming is concerned and rely heavily on natural light for everything else. It may end up being a short term hobby as I don't like to be in front of any camera, so some of this plan is already starting out with a big negative.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:45 am

Trust me when I tell you, I am also uncomfortable having pictures taken of me. I don't like the idea of being filmed or filming myself and sticking it out for the world to see. But I am forcing myself to do it, to grow my business.

I'm not looking for high budget filming, but something acceptable to get my point across. I may buy a couple lights for indoor filming/pictures, but I'm not spending more than a hundred or two on lights. I too, will rely on natural light as much of whatever filming I do, will be outdoors.

I have zero education on pictures/filming. Other than what I have learned from youtube. I also have zero education of editing pictures, video, and sound.

It's not going to be easy for me, but I have committed to this. If I can make some money down the road with pictures, that's a bonus.

Like you, I have no desire to become a film maker. Simple and well done videos are all I'm after. But I feel the action camera for me, will make a big difference in showing my customers what I want to convey.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Sounds like we are walking the same path then.

As for lights, I have a couple of suggestions for you.

1. You could get buy with a single 18" Ring Light (Fluroescent only) although it will give you a sort of 2 dimension feel, it will light you up in a very soft light.

2. You could just buy some halogen work lights. They actually give off a good color and tons of light. Just place a diffuser between you and the lights and you could get buy with 2-3 lights. Even a white cotton sheet can make a decent diffuser if you want to stay cheap.

There are a lot of options in lights these days....most of them expensive too. There are a lot of video producers getting by on the cheap and getting good results. It just takes some patience and experimenting.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I have not studied the ring lights much. I don't know how I feel about those yet.

I have halogens now, but no diffusers.
I have a set of complete soft lights on my Amazon wish list, (2 lights) with stands, diffusers, bulbs and soft boxes for 80 bucks. They have a good rating by users.

Really, I think the only time I will need the lighting is for video work at home.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Soft boxes work really well, but are a pita to set-up. Some have plastic sockets as well instead of ceramics....have to watch for those.

I almost purchased a set of pro-style focused led lights until I read the fine print...."Not for usage of greater than 30 minutes". One of the highest rated lights that the clerk showed me had lamps with an 80 hour life-span!!! These were also over $400 each.

I think that keeping your lighting needs basic is the safest way to go.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:19 pm

I appreciate the tips!

I do think I am going to get a less expensive soft light kit though. Halogens are pretty bright and run kinda hot to expect to build something on the light, to diffuse light without a fire.

The likelihood of the lights leaving my house are next to none.

IF I get ambitious, I may build my own. I have seen them done with those red lamp clamp on lights, so if I can find bulbs and supplies cheap enough, I may build my own. Otherwise for 80 bucks for a pair, I'll just buy them. I don't see how I can make them for half or less, but if I can, then I would attempt it.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:29 pm

I agree with you, if you don't need to pack and move them often, softboxes work very well. I might end up doing the same and just leave them assembled in a spare bedroom that will serve as a studio.

I still prefer a more projected light like an Alzo 3000, but these aren't professional productions....just want something clean and a little more professional than a shaky phone video.

milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:40 am

Looks like I went the fluorescence softbox route as well.  Ran across a great deal on a very strong pair of light sets.  I will still probably go directional light for the hair light, but things are taking shape.

I will not bore everyone with more details until I get up and running....probably later part of the month.  Should have videos in production before the new year.

Right now, I am just getting reacquainted with photography.  It is good to clean for a Zoo!

New Camera - Page 2 Matt510
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:21 am

Nice picture!
Did you use a prime lens to get the bocca?

Haven't bought the lights yet, but mine will be bought sometime in December. I want to have a video up by February.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:21 am

Yes, and thanks.

A local band wants me to shoot a video for them to send to their Mothers for Christmas. I guess I will lean on the fly using them as a subject next week. If they only knew.....
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 am

I will have a hard enough time with not having experience, making a presentable video for myself.

Practice makes perfect, they say. You have a YouTube account at this point right? I have two channels right now. I think I will add a third, for reviews or whatever I decide to do with it. Personal channel for friends and family. Business channel for business.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:42 am

That is a good idea for the multiple channels....didn't think about that one. I am planning on making 1-person interview type business ones and probably some guitar demos on another.

It will be a learning curve, no doubt about. The more variables in the scene, the greater the learning curve, but for a single person interview sort of thing, it shouldn't be too steep.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:06 pm

How is it going so far with your camera?

I took mine to town today to snap a couple of pictures of the signs of the two movie theatres in town.
I saw a photo of the oldest one, in B&W, of just the sign itself. I wanted to do the same thing for myself, as I am crazy about that picture (don't know why). Thought I had it set to RAW settings, but after I got home, I discovered my camera was set to jpg. Ugh.

Lots of bumps in the road ahead, I guess.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:33 pm

I haven't done much this week actually, been too busy. I am running into the same learning curve though, just takes a little time and practice. You really just need to have fun with it and experiment.

When I shot film back in the day, the only way I got better was through mistakes. Just take the time to shoot a little of everything and you will be an ace in no time.

I don't have much work scheduled for next week, so I will be spending a lot more time on learning as well.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:47 pm

I just spent the last hour assembling this thing:

New Camera - Page 2 Fc-0210

I bought it at a close out (open box) so it came in about 50 pieces and no instructions.  It was a lot cursing and studying pictures online before it came together.

Of course there were parts left in the box....who knows?

It is a shoulder support rig for filming.  The dslr camera fits behind the hood and it basically is converted to a movie camera with the added support to remain steady when shooting with a heavy lens or the added weight of a microphone and lights.

Pretty solid product, but I don't want to even look at again for awhile.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Freemind1 Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:55 am

I had thought about this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Video-Camera-Hands-Free-Shoulder-Support-Tripod-Rig-HD-/170854907227?hash=item27c7befd5b:g:ZsQAAOSwZd1Vch6-
If I was buying one anyway. I don't think I am going to for myself.

I would NOT delight in assembling the one you have.

Freemind1

Back to top Go down

Post by milspec6 Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:59 pm

It is a bit over-kill for my actual plans, but you do need something to steady yourself when not using a tripod. These cameras are so light that when you add a heavy lens, mic, and maybe a light, you will not be steady without some kind of support.

It gave me a headache, that is for certain.
milspec6
milspec6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2